Thursday, August 30, 2012

"Big Wheels Keep on Rollin"..

Well, Big John is still with us. He took a turn for the worse at 4:30 am when he woke and started to pull off his oxygen mask (he actually broke it), the nurse gave him some morphine for the extreme pain he was in and some medicine for his heart rate. This morning he ate a couple of biscuits and though he had a hard time talking and couldn't hear (he has been very hard of hearing for years), Jamey spent the night there and Mitch took over this morning (both his children and Franks siblings). Mitch told us the Doctor came in and as soon as tomorrow John will be brought to Elizabeth House in Hendersonville, which is a Hospice home. Mitch asked if we were coming to see John again today when Zack was done with his shot, but Zack had asked not to go. He said "Mom, I already said goodby last night and I don't want to see him that way anymore" I totally understand and tell him he is under no obligation. Mitch tries to explain that John is coherent and is nothing like he was last night, but I stand firm for Zack and tell him It's not about seeing him, it's about having to say goodbye over an over when we know it's only a matter of time. If Zack changes his mind down the road, he will be able to go (if his counts are up).

Zack has had such a great week. The new medicine is working so well to keep the severe nausea at bay. When we think back to just a month ago, after Zack's first week of treatment, he was in bed very sick, barely able to do anything or go anywhere. This week, he is running around with his friends, working on his car and in very good spirits. He had his Neulasta shot today and we were in and out of the clinic in a matter of ten minutes. We went and picked up his glasses (which are back up for when his contacts act up from the treatment), had an early dinner and now are home. He is chilling in his room and I'm already in bed and relaxing. Frank is on his way to the hospital to visit with his Dad for awhile.

Tomorrow Mom and I go back to Asheville to see her Doctor. Trying to fit this in between the treatments has been interesting and she is such a trooper to be so patient while I work it all out. We need to see what is going on with her dizzy spells and just a routine 6 month exam. The rest of the time we will just hang out, see a couple of stores if she is up to it and have some quality time together. Zack will stay home and catch up on his school work. He wants to go fishing with a friend this weekend and has an outdoor BBQ to go to tomorrow night (he can handle this as long as it is out doors and doesn't get too close to anyone).  So, in order to go we have told him he MUST have his work caught up.

He will also be getting his carburetor back and should be able to get the car to the house. All in all it has been a great week. I am a little worse for wear at this point, so I need to get caught up on my rest. Doc Steve teased me today telling me my new nickname is "LINK" . "A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link", lately,, I have been a weak link.  (personally, I think I'm "missing" a link) Ha ha... Anyway, we had a lot of fun with it today. Hey, again, we gotta laugh!

Going to rest now and so looking forward to my day with Mom tomorrow. We are off work until Wednesday, so I will have plenty of chill time.!

No comments:

Post a Comment